Cellucor C4 Original Pre Workout FAQ
- One Container: 60 servings
- Serving Size: 1 Scoop (6.5 grams)
When you go out to buy a pre workout, it never hurts to stick to the most popular pre-workout supplement options. You may call it bandwagoning, but if 8/10 lifters use a brand, then it’s probably a solid product.
More often than not, the most popular brands are also some of the oldest names on the shelves. One company that’s made a name for itself in the pre workout category is Cellucor and their flagship pre workout C4 Original.
Cellucor C4 Original Pre Workout claims to be America’s #1 selling pre workout, but is it as good as the hype? Read our review to find out.
Who Makes It?
As we mentioned, C4 Original Pre Workout is sold by one of America’s leading supplement brands: Cellucor. Cellucor’s been in the game for as long as we can remember and they’ve developed more than their fair share of supplements in the last decade.
They describe Cellucor C4 Original Pre Workout as a supplement that can give explosive energy, heightened focus, and an overwhelming urge to tackle any challenge.
Marketing Claims Made
The following claims were made about Cellucor C4 Original Pre Workout:
- Explosive energy
- Clinically studied ingredients
- Maximum performance
What’s in it?
Now, let’s take a closer look at what’s inside Cellucor C4 Original Pre Workout:
In one 6.5 gram scoop, you will get:
- Vitamins and Minerals: Vitamin C, Niacin, Vitamin B6 as P5P, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 as Methylcobalamin, and Calcium.These may seem like a random blend, but eagle eyed supplement critics will see the premium forms used for B6 and B12 – two B vitamins that legit affect muscle energy metabolism. The forms used for these two allow higher bioavailability . We’re only a bit disappointed with the dosage used for B6, but since vitamins and minerals blends are often “bonuses” in a formula, we won’t mind this.
- Beta alanine as CarnoSyn: Beta alanine is a bonafide pre workout ingredient and known specifically to help with muscle energy metabolism, performance, and even recovery. CarnoSyn is a brand of beta alanine known for purity and reduces the itchy side effect associated with high doses of beta alanine. 
- Creatine Nitrate as NO3-T: Creatine is a force in the pre workout world, capable of plenty of feats and might as well be considered a full pre workout on its own. It can help with performance, muscle building, and is a great recovery ingredient. As Creatine Nitrate, some studies claim it gives the benefits of both performance and pump. 
- Arginie Alpha Ketoglutarate: Also known as AAKG, this pre workout ingredient supports C4’s pump boosting and performance claims. 
Explosive Energy Blend
- N-Acetyl L Tyrosine: Also known as NALT in many reviews and literature, this ingredient is taken for its anti-stress and focus benefits. 
- Caffeine Anydrous: Caffeine is either your favorite stimulant or something you’ve been actively avoiding. Regardless, it’s still does a good job at stimulating the senses. The dose is worth one and a half cup of coffee. If you’re an avid coffee drinker, this would be on the low end. If you’re not fond of coffee, this could give you a jolt. 
- Velvet Bean Extract: Velvet bean is often used in testosterone boosting formulas because it’s just really good at it. 
- Theacrine as TeaCrine: Theacrine is an ingredient similar to caffeine.
Supplement Facts Label
Some of the benefits you can expect from taking C4 Original Pre Workout include:
- Decent Energy: The 150 mg caffeine dose plus the extra theacrine should help you get started for your daily routine.
- Some pumps and performance: The ingredients may not be in their best dosages, but they can still work on your body to give you the much needed lifting power.
- Fast absorption: The forms some of the ingredients used are premium and are known to maximize every gram or milligram of the ingredient.
The most probable side effects of using Cellucor C4 Original Pre Workout would be anything related to stimulant use and beta-alanine.
For stimulants, caffeine is the usual source. If you’re not that much good around caffeine, you can get an upset stomach, sweating, mood swings, headaches, dehydration, and perhaps even sleeplessness.
For beta-alanine, users say it can make them feel itchy. That’s because the molecules beta-alanine has are large and can “scrape” on your nerve endings when they pass through the bloodstream. This is often seen as a sign that it’s working.
We always recommend you speak with your doctor before taking any supplements featured on this site.
One of the best things about Cellucor C4 Original Pre Workout is it has plenty of flavors to choose from.
- Pink Lemonade
- Orange Burst
- Fruit Punch
- Strawberry Margarita
- Cherry Limeade
- Juicy Candy Burst
- Icy Blue Razz
Number of Servings
One tub has 60 servings. One serving is 6.5 grams.
Top Alternative to This Product
Cellucor C4 Original Pre Workout vs Mesomorph Pre Workout
To be honest, the formula used by Cellucor C4 Original Pre Workout is a bit unique and the closes supplements we can make a direct comparison to are other Cellucor products.
To add variety, we opted for something that still resembles Cellucor C4 Original Pre Workout, but contains much more than the ingredients listed on Cellucor C4 Original Pre Workout’s formula.
Like Cellucor C4 Original Pre Workout, Mesomorph pre-workout also has:
- Beta alanine
- Alpha Ketoglutarate
- Creatine Nitrate
However, that’s where the similarities end. Mesomorph has not just more ingredients, but a serving size that is more than twice that of Cellucor C4 Original Pre Workout. This lets Mesomorph have more room to spare to get all those ingredients and their “working” dosages.
So in a vacuum, Mesomorph comes out much better.
However, Mesomorph only has 25 servings while Cellucor C4 Original Pre Workout has 60. If you use two servings with Cellucor C4 Original Pre Workout per gym day, you can arguably get a similar result to taking Mesomorph when it comes to pumps, energy, and performance.
We looked at Amazon reviews on Cellucor C4 Original Pre Workout and found that they rate the product a pretty high 4.6/5.
People praise it for the variety of flavors, the taste, and the face tingling sensation felt due to the presence of beta alanine. Some also say it doesn’t make them jittery.
The problem many users mentioned has little to do with the performance of the product as much as its shipping and packaging. Many users complained of being sold “rock hard” clumps while others mentioned the coloring staining their teeth and lips. Some also experienced side effects such as bloating and a stomach ache, and it’s thought to be attributed to caffeine.
Cellucor C4 Original Pre Workout is probably one of America’s most loved pre workout powders, but in our opinion, the formula needs to be updated to keep up with the needs of their market, especially as many users are now much more well-informed about ingredients and doses than ever before.
The product still works, and still has the appeal of being used as part of a pre workout stack, but as a standalone, it seems weak if we’re referring to a per-serving potency.
Overall, we think Cellucor C4 Original Pre Workout is a decent buy, with some reservations.
About the Author
Robert is a graduate from the University of Santo Tomas whose specialty is writing about scientific research, claim substantiation, supplements, nutrition, health, fitness, and medical topics. He is a former Research Scientist with a degree in Food Science, Technology, and Nutrition. Currently, Robert spends his time sharing scientific knowledge and utilizing his skills to create research backed content on a variety of online platforms, such as health authority sites, Q&A sites like Quora, podcasts and more. Contact Robert.