Contents of this Article
Performance Lab Sport Carb FAQ
- One Container: 20 servings
- Price: $50.00
- Serving Size: 2 scoops (50 g)
- Serving Suggestion: Mix 2 scoops (50g) with ]12 oz. (360 ml.) of water. Take 30 minutes before, during, and immediately after training and competition to support fast muscle energy, extended endurance, and robust growth and recovery. Sport Carb is flavor-matched with Sport Protein; they can be mixed together into a deliciosu 2-in-1 ergogenic drink.
- Refund Policy: If you’ve ordered something by mistake or changed your mind, then returning unused and unwanted items is easy. Simply contact their friendly customer support team here within 7 days of receiving your order. They will give you the appropriate address, and detailed instructions on how to return your item(s) to them. You will have to pay for return postage and when they get the items back, they will issue you a refund, less their shipping costs.
Carbs are not the enemy. Sure, the recent trends in weight loss all point to carb intake as a huge factor in obesity and fat gain, but the body still needs carbs to function properly if not optimally.
This is particularly important when it comes to training and muscle gains, especially since only the serious and high-level bodybuilders are looking for carb sources other than food.
Performance Lab Sport Carb could be one of those sources.
It boasts of a fast-absorbing formula mixed with ingredients that allow for an overall improvement in nutrient uptake and gym performance.
What makes Performance Lab Sport Carb a good supplement? Is it really as potent as they described it? Let’s find out.
Who Makes It?
Sport Carb is sold by Performance Lab. As we mentioned before, Performance Lab is a popular company known for high-quality nootropics among other products.
Marketing Claims Made
The following claims were made about Performance Lab Sport Carb:
- Fast-Absorbing: The ingredients definitely allow for a bioavailability type of synergy.
- Designed for performance: They do this without the need for stimulants and other ergogenics.
- Healthy: It’s a carb source just like rice, potatoes, and sugar.
What’s in it?
Now, let’s take a closer look at what’s inside Performance Lab Sport Carb:
- KarboLyn (homopolysaccharide derived from potato, rice, and corn): This is the supplement’s big gun in their formulation. Performance Lab describes it as the world’s fastest-acting carbohydrate fuel source. It was designed to be absorbed faster by giving it a smaller, molecular size compared to generic carbohydrate sources. It has a good water-affinity which allows it to pass through the stomach better, allowing it a faster bloodstream uptake. What makes KarboLyn also special is due to its sustained release effect. It absorbs similar to a sugar but persists like a starch. Because of this, water and nutrient intestinal uptake is better. This property can help other ingredients to be absorbed better if not faster. 
- Organic Ceylon Cinnamon (Cinnamonum verum) powder: Cinnamon is considered a “super sweetener” because it allows beverages to taste “sweet” or like a dessert, but it doesn’t add calories while also conferring some health benefits. It’s known to have potent antioxidant activity, anti-inflammatory properties, support heart health, improve insulin sensitivity, reduces blood sugar levels, and even some anti-cancer properties.
- “Trans-cinnamaldehyde and p-cymene contribute to the strong anti-inflammatory effects of cinnamon extract. Furthermore, our experiments indicate that also synergistic effects among compounds that do not exhibit anti-inflammatory effects themselves might be present to positively influence the beneficial effects of cinnamon bark extract.”
- “In summary, cinnamon and components of cinnamon have been shown to have beneficial effects on essentially all of the factors associated with metabolic syndrome, including insulin sensitivity, glucose, lipids, antioxidants, inflammation, blood pressure, and body weight. In addition, factors associated with related diseases, including Alzheimer’s disease, stroke, and cancer, have also been shown to be improved by cinnamon and its components in in vitro studies.”
In the context of a carb blend, Cinnamon actually can boost carb uptake because of how it can control the way insulin responds to carbs. What it does is it funnels carbs into muscle cells, jumpstarting the entire glycogen replenishing process and gives users an instant carb fuel source. [2,3]
- Himalayan Pink Salt: We reviewed this ingredient before and we found that not only does it contribute to taste, but also the overall mineral content of the formula. These minerals then contribute to the electrolyte benefits. In carb formulas, electrolytes help users before, during, and after a workout by ensuring the muscles are well hydrated. Well-hydrated muscles mean better performance and low risks of cramping.
From a functional perspective, electrolytes are used for proper contraction of muscles. Without electrolytes, the muscles won’t be able to get the brain’s message that tells them to move, loosen, and tighten. 
- Coconut Water Powder: While not part of the formula’s key ingredients, it should be noted that adding coconut water powder vastly improves your supplement’s hydration capabilities. On its own, coconut water powder ain’t much but when combined with the likes of Himalayan salt, KarboLyn, and of course water, the coconut-derived ingredient becomes an effective hydration booster. Better hydration leads to faster absorption. Faster absorption leads to more efficient nutrient uptake. Finally, an efficient nutrient uptake leads to better muscle gains, larger power output, and faster muscle recovery. 
Supplement Facts Label
The supplement definitely works as a bonafide carbohydrate formula. In fact, we’d argue that the future of sports supplementation might require carbs as a staple of many pre-workouts. If that would be the case, Performance Lab Sport Carb would be among the pioneers that went beyond the usual carb formulas.
The benefits of taking this product depends on what you use it for. As a pre-workout, it helps lay the groundwork for the body to perform at its peak. If combined with another pre-workout, it’s meant to help ingredients get absorbed and metabolized faster.
When you take it during exercise, it helps give you that much-needed energy boost. It also jumpstarts the muscle recovery process through muscle tissue hydration.
As a post-workout supplement, Performance Lab Sport Carb acts as a muscle recovery booster. The combination of carbs and electrolytes allows the formula to capitalize on the body’s current nutrient-depleted state. This makes users feel better after a tough workout and could help them get back to the gym sooner than expected.
It should be noted that as a post-workout supplement, you can also combine it with protein formulas as protein is also absorbed faster in the presence of electrolytes.
There aren’t any likely side effects that often come with traditional pre-workouts. It doesn’t have any stimulants, it doesn’t have any ingredients that can cause itching or bloatedness. If you’re a fan of potatoes, then this product shouldn’t hurt your gut.
The only possible precaution to take is the fact that it contains coconuts which can be classified as an allergen since it’s part of a family of tree nuts.
We always recommend you speak with your doctor before taking any supplements featured on this site.
How to Take It
According to their website, Performance Lab Sport Carb is suggested to be taken by mixing 2 scoops (50g) with 12 oz. (360 ml.) of water.
As for timing, users should take it 30 minutes before, during, and immediately after training and competition to support fast muscle energy, extended endurance, and robust growth and recovery.
They also suggest taking Sport Carb with Sport Protein for one delicious ergogenic drink.
It only has one flavor: Chocolate.
Number of Servings
One bottle has 20 servings. One serving is 2 scoops (50 g).
Top Alternative to This Product
Performance Lab Sport Carb vs EFX Sports Karbolyn Fuel Complex
The best supplement to compare with Sport Carb is Karbolyn Fuel.
Unlike Sport Carb, Karbolyn Fuel only has one key ingredient: Karbolyn. Yes, the exact same Karbolyn used by Sport Carb. However, Karbolyn Fuel wants you to know that they’re pure in a sense that you will be getting 50 grams of pure Karbolyn without any flavors, fillers, and not even an artificial sweetener.
In fact, the label explicitly says “Other ingredients: None.” That’s pretty badass.
Which one is better? Being pure isn’t always good when it comes to supplements. Even the most highly regarded companies prefer to develop complex formulas over “single-ingredient” brands.
Performance Lab Sport Carb dominates EFX Karbolyn Fuel because not only does the former promote carb intake, but it also has ingredients that can aid in overall performance and recovery.
Most online reviews on Performance Lab Sport Carb were positive. They praised it for its sheer versatility in use (pre, intra, and post), potential rapid absorption and sustained release, and the quality of the carb source itself.
The nitpick is simply about the price. At $50 per can, it’s not entry-level at all.
Have you tried this product? Leave a review below and let us know what you think!
So far, we think Performance Lab Sport Carb is among the best carb supplements this year and perhaps even in 2020. There aren’t a lot of competition in the carb supplement space, so we expect Sport Carb to be at the top for a long time.
Was this post helpful?
About the Author
Robert is a graduate from the University of Santo Tomas whose specialty is writing about scientific research, claim substantiation, supplements, nutrition, health, fitness, and medical topics. He is a former Research Scientist with a degree in Food Science, Technology, and Nutrition. Currently, Robert spends his time sharing scientific knowledge and utilizing his skills to create research backed content on a variety of online platforms, such as health authority sites, Q&A sites like Quora, podcasts and more. Contact Robert.