Contents of this Article
Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides FAQ
- One Container: 28 Servings
- Price: $43.00
- Serving Size: 20 grams (two scoops)
- Serving Suggestion: Stir into your favorite beverages.
Add to smoothies as protein booster. Mix with Overnight Oats, soups, or sauces
- Refund Policy: They ask that you notify them of any problems within 30 days of the receipt of your order. They reserve the right to change or amend this policy. In some instances, certain returns may be subject to a restocking fee, but please reach out to them first so they can help you resolve any questions or issues you may have.
Taking supplements for strength and weight loss is pretty commonplace. After all, many resolutions made at New Year’s Eve revolves around physical fitness and health. However, some groups of people need something more specific, such as healthier hair, skin, nails, and joints.
That’s where collagen comes from, an ingredient that is purported to have aesthetic benefits as well as some functional properties. Which is why Vital Proteins has come out with a product called Collagen Peptides.
Can Collagen Peptides live up to the hype? Let’s find out!
Who Makes It?
Collagen Peptides is sold by Vital Proteins. Vital Proteins is a supplement company that has offices in Amsterdam, Hamburg, Chicago, and Los Angeles . While they sell a variety of supplements, their flagship products are collagen-based and Collagen Peptides is one of them.
Marketing Claims Made
The following claims were made about Collagen Peptides:
- High bioavailability: We’re not sure about this claim given that they didn’t hint at any hydrolyzed processing involved in the manufacture of Collagen Peptides.
- Hair, skin, nails, and joint benefits: Collagen’s benefits are more about its primary functions, so this claim checks out.
What’s in it?
Now, let’s take a closer look at what’s inside Collagen Peptides:
- Collagen Peptides from the bovine hide: Unsurprisingly, Collagen Peptides’ only key ingredient is none other than collagen peptides. Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body and works to provide structure to our skin, bones, tendons, and other connective tissues . While most sources of collagen are pork skin and bone broth, Vital Proteins took it upon themselves to source from the bovine hide, an expensive yet more sustainable source.
Supplement Facts Label
Much like many other neutraceuticals and compounds, the potency of any beneficial ingredient is hugely reliant on dosage. At 20 grams per serving, the amount of collagen you get is really high. When it comes to supplements that work on skin, hair, and bones, more is almost always better.
On top of that, you can also consider Collagen Peptides as a protein product given the very nature of collagen is tied with protein. On their website, Vital Proteins declare the following amino acid content per serving of Collagen Peptides:
- Alanine – 1462 mg
- Arginine – 1517 mg
- Aspartic acid – 1192 mg
- Glutamic acid – 2239 mg
- Glycine – 3719 mg
- Histidine – 144 mg
- Hydroxylysine – 217 mg
- Hydroxyproline – 2058 mg
- Isoleucine – 271 mg
- Leucine – 524 mg
- Lysine – 614 mg
- Methionine – 108 mg
- Phenylalanine – 379 mg
- Proline – 2076 mg
- Serine – 614 mg
- Threonine – 343 mg
- Tyrosine – 90 mg
- Valine – 433 mg
Apart from its robust amino acid content, what does collagen do anyway? What are its benefits?
- Improve skin health: This is easily the biggest selling point of collagen. Collagen is a major component of our skin and plays a huge role in elasticity and hydration. Researchers found that as we age, we lose collagen which then leads to unsightly dry skin and wrinkle formation. Supplementing collagen can help reduce or slow down the skin aging process .
- Joint pain relief: Unbeknownst to many, collagen is also a compound that maintains the integrity of our cartilage, the rubber-like tissue that protects joints. Studies found that the older we get, the more likely are we to develop bone degenerative diseases such as osteoarthritis. Some studies show taking collagen supplements not only provide joint pain relief but also help improve symptoms of osteoarthritis .
- Can promote muscle mass: Our muscles can be made up of up to 10% collagen. Since collagen is strongly related to protein, taking collagen supplements can lead to better muscle preservation. Doing this can help delay sarcopenia, a condition where our muscles lose mass with age .
- Good for the heart: Some studies suggest collagen supplementation can be beneficial for cardiovascular health. This is because collagen is a structure-type of a compound that also makes up the structure of our arteries and blood vessels. One study demonstrated collagen supplementation’s benefits with regards to Atherosclerosis .
- Hair and nails: Our hair and nails are made up of collagen. Thus, supplementing with collagen can lead to healthier growth from the roots .
Can Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides commit to these benefits? We think they can. After all, that’s what collagen peptides do. We would be surprised if it didn’t do any of the benefits it’s supposed to naturally do.
For the most part, collagen supplements, in general, are regarded as safe for consumption. However, do note that the product is manufactured in a facility that processes milk, fish, and tree nuts. Accidental contamination can always happen and it’s best to keep that in mind if you have allergies.
We always recommend you speak with your doctor before taking any supplements featured on this site.
How to Take It
Vital Proteins recommends taking Collagen Peptides by combining one or two scoops with eight ounces of a beverage of your choice. Then, mix thoroughly.
There shouldn’t be any real taste or flavor since Collagen Peptides are pure and do not have any other ingredients that might alter taste and flavor experience.
Number of Servings
One bottle has 28 servings. One serving is 20 grams powder.
Top Alternative to This Product
EVLUTION Nutrition Collagen Peptides vs Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
There aren’t many collagen peptides supplements in the market, so that means it’s much easier to stand out. One of these products is Collagen Peptides by Evlution Nutrition.
Like the product by Vital Proteins, Evlution Nutrition’s own Collagen Peptides also has one key ingredient. However, the stinger is the dosage of just 11 grams, 9 grams less than what Vital Proteins gives us.
However, we think Evlution Nutrition more than makes up for it with a much better price point (almost 50% cheaper) and a much higher number of servings (40 servings per can).
Which one is better? It depends on your budget and how much collagen peptides you want. If you’re just supplementing for the sake of supplementing, then Evlution Nutrition wins. It’s cheaper and it can last longer than a month. Vital Proteins takes the cake if your goal is more than just taking collagen peptides.
In some online retail stores, customers like how it helped them have healthier hair, skin, and nails. However, some of them also criticized the company’s ability to maintain quality, with users receiving bad batches with coarser powders, unfamiliar smells, and off-tastes.
Have you tried this product? Leave a review below and let us know what you think!
Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides possesses all the necessary traits of what makes collagen peptides a good compound to supplement and more. We like how Vital Proteins sourced their collagen peptides from a sustainable source and how they made sure each dosage packs a punch.
However, we do hope they address customer complaints regarding quality control.
About the Author
Robert is a graduate from the University of Santo Tomas whose specialty is writing about scientific research, claim substantiation, supplements, nutrition, health, fitness, and medical topics. He is a former Research Scientist with a degree in Food Science, Technology, and Nutrition. Currently, Robert spends his time sharing scientific knowledge and utilizing his skills to create research backed content on a variety of online platforms, such as health authority sites, Q&A sites like Quora, podcasts and more. Contact Robert.