Frequently Asked Questions About Hemp Protein Powder
What Are Hemp Protein Powders?
Hemp protein powders are dietary supplements that use naturally extracted proteins from the hemp plant to provide a protein-heavy and nutritionally-rich dietary supplement.
Specifically, the powder is derived from the seeds of the plant. Hemp is a part of the cannabis sativa family, which also includes marijuana – but don’t worry: hemp will not get you high.
Unlike its psychoactive cousin, hemp has extremely low levels of THC (the active ingredient in marijuana) and is used in a variety of industrial applications throughout the world.
Hemp is used to make foods (and protein powders), paper, plastic alternatives, and more. It’s completely legal to use in most countries, including the United States, although laws related to growing hemp vary significantly.
Regardless of the somewhat complicated legal nature of the hemp plant, you don’t need to be concerned about the legality of hemp protein powders. These health supplements are sold on store shelves throughout the world and offered from a huge number of companies.
What Are the Uses & Benefits of Hemp Protein?
Hemp protein offers a host of benefits. For one, it offers all of the benefits of protein, which in and of themselves are quite significant. It’s also an animal product-free source of rich protein, which is great news for vegetarians, vegans, and others on restrictive diets.
Some key hemp protein benefits include:
- Rich in protein
- Rich amino acid profile
- Source of complete protein
- Supports muscle growth
- Helps build and repair muscle tissue
- Supports post-workout recovery
- High in fiber
- Helps you feel full
- Helps improve metabolism
- Helps reduce food cravings
- Free of animal products
- Free of meat, dairy, gluten, soy, and other common allergens
- Can be used as a meal replacement (Not recommended often)
- Can be added to shakes, smoothies, and even baking recipes
- Rich in essential fats (EFAs)
- Rich in important vitamins and minerals
- Supports overall health
As you can see, the list of hemp protein benefits is significant. Hemp is highly nutritious, offering a good portion of vitamin E, calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc and many other nutrients.
There are a lot of reasons why you would want to use the best hemp protein powders, beyond simply wanting more protein.
Who Can Benefit from Hemp Protein?
- Vegans and Vegetarians – protein is important for everyone, but vegans and vegetarians can have a harder time consuming adequate protein due to the fact that they don’t eat meat and/or animal products. A lot of people supplement with hemp protein in order to improve protein intake without changing their dietary preferences.
- Lactose Intolerant People – if you’re lactose intolerant or just sensitive to dairy products, you may consume less protein than the average person. Additionally, most protein powders won’t work for you, as most (like whey, casein, etc. are derived from dairy.
- Athletes – athletes always need a significant amount of protein, and generally more than the average person needs. Hemp protein powders provide an easy, affordable and healthy way to increase protein intake for athletes.
- Dieters – on a diet? Did you know that protein helps improve satiety, which is essentially “fullness?” If you eat more protein, you will be less likely to feel hungry between meals, and therefore less likely to snack and cheat on your diet.
Are There Any Side Effects?
Hemp protein powder is a simple food product and does not generally cause any side effects. With that said, some side effects are possible, including gastrointestinal issues like diarrhea, bloating, etc. It’s best to speak with your doctor before trying hemp protein powder.
How Do I Take Hemp Protein?
Hemp protein can be taken at any time of the day. It can be used as a meal replacement, a healthy snack, or a post-workout recovery aid. Generally, you’ll want to mix it into a smoothie, but you can also just mix it into milk or juice for a quick boost of protein.
Hemp protein powder can also be used in various foods, and can even be used in baking.
Generally, hemp protein powders will have 15-20+ grams of protein in each serving. The dosage is easy to measure out because there’s generally a scoop included in the packaging that allows you to quickly measure out a serving.
Can I Stack Hemp Protein With Other Supplements?
Many folks like to create hemp protein stacks to reap further benefits from the symbiotic effects of multiple supplements. Some of the most beneficial hemp protein stacks include.
- Hemp protein and creatine for athletes – creatine is perhaps the most popular athletic supplement on the market, and for good reason. Creatine can help improve muscle performance and strength, helping you lift more and ultimately achieve better results from your efforts. By combining creatine and hemp protein, you can experience better workouts and better post-workout recovery. And since creatine is synthetically created, it’s vegan-friendly, just like hemp protein.
- Hemp protein and B vitamins for vegans – vegans can greatly benefit from hemp protein because it provides an easy and affordable plant-based protein. Vegans also tend to be more prone to deficiencies in certain vitamins; namely B vitamins. B vitamins (and particularly vitamin B12) are essential for good health, and it can be difficult to obtain adequate amounts in a vegan diet.