Contents of this Article
- Delicious Smoothies for Losing Weight
- 10 Low-Calorie Smoothie Recipes for Losing Weight
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Protein-Rich Weight Loss Smoothie
- Fiber-Rich Fruit Weight Loss Smoothie
- Lean Green Smoothie for Weight Loss
- Chocolate Banana Smoothie for Weight Loss
- Antioxidant Rich Black Forest Post-Workout Weight Loss Smoothie
- Chocolate Brownie Post-Workout Smoothie for Weight Loss
- Avocado Berry Breakfast Smoothie
- Berry Oat Breakfast Smoothie for Weight Loss
- Nutrient Rich Green Weight Loss Smoothie
- Raspberry Coconut Vegan Weight-Loss Smoothie
Delicious Smoothies for Losing Weight
Losing weight can be a real challenge, particularly in our busy modern lives. Eating healthy takes time and effort, and it often feels so much easier to just cheat with junk food or a quick bite out. But when weight-loss is the goal, sticking to your diet plan is key.
To help keep their diets on track, many people choose to use weight loss smoothies, either as meal replacement shakes or as healthful snacks. Good weight loss smoothies can pack in a ton of nutrients into a simple, healthy shake. Particularly with high protein weight loss smoothies, you can end up having a tasty smoothie and feeling full for hours on end, thanks to the high satiety rating of protein.
The best weight loss smoothies will generally contain a variety of healthful ingredients, including protein powder and other supplements to boost their benefits. A good smoothie for weight loss can help you replace meals, or just have a healthy snack or post-workout recovery meal. They are also a convenient way to start your day off right with a healthy, filling meal.
Why Use Weight Loss Smoothies?
A good weight loss smoothie is not only healthful and filling, but also quite tasty! It’s important to find a weight loss smoothie recipe that you actually like, so that you’ll be more willing to actually drink these smoothies on a regular basis. Some benefits of the best weight loss smoothies include:
- Packs a ton of nutritious ingredients into a low-calorie drink
- Can be used as a meal replacement, or as a snack
- Helps you feel full and satisfied without a full meal
- High protein, but low fat/carb/sugar/etc
- Helps you stick to your diet
- Improves your chances of reaching your weight loss goals
- Easily masks the taste of greens and other healthy, but less tasty foods
- Convenient and quick
- Can help improve your energy levels and wellbeing
- Easy to modify to keep things interesting
In short, if you’re trying to lose weight, the best smoothies for weight loss can really help. Whether you use them as meal replacements or just as snacks in between meals, they can make all the difference in your diet plan.
There are thousands of weight loss smoothie recipes out there, but we’ve sifted through the masses to find the 3 tastiest recipes for you. Enjoy!
Our Recommendation for a Good Blender
It’s always good to work with quality tools. The only tool you’ll need for these recipes is a blender. I personally use the Ninja Professional Blender. It’s a bit pricey at $99, but it’s a great quality blender with lots of extras. Plus if you buy anything cheaper, you’ll probably end up replacing it sooner than later. Anyway, without further ado, here are the recipes!
10 Low-Calorie Smoothie Recipes for Losing Weight
Peanut Butter and Jelly Protein-Rich Weight Loss Smoothie
If you’re a fan of the classic PB&J sandwich, you’ll surely be a fan of this delicious and nutritious smoothie. This is one of the best weight loss smoothies thanks to a high protein, fiber-rich ingredient profile.
- 1 scoop protein powder (vanilla or unflavored are best) – Our Protein Powder Guide
- 1 tablespoon all-natural peanut butter (chunky or smooth – your choice)
- 1 cup frozen berries (any type)
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats/oatmeal
- 1 cup milk, or soy/rice/coconut milk, if preferred
Combine all ingredients in your blender, and blend on medium speed until mixed thoroughly. You may need to adjust the amount of liquid, depending on how you thick you like your smoothies to be.
This is one of the most effective weight-loss smoothies, because it contains a lot of protein (between 30-40g+, depending on the protein powder you use), healthy fats (from peanut butter), fiber (from rolled oats) and nutritious berries. Even if you’re trying to eat low-carb, don’t skip out on the rolled outs, as fiber is helpful for feeling full. And, perhaps most importantly, it tastes good – which means you’ll actually look forward to eating it!
Fiber-Rich Fruit Weight Loss Smoothie
Fruit lovers, unite! This fresh and flavorful smoothie for weight loss contains several full servings of delicious fiber-rich fruits to start your day off right! This one is ideal for a breakfast weight loss smoothie, but can be enjoyed at any time of the day!
- 1 scoop protein powder (vanilla or unflavored) – Our Protein Powder Guide
- 1 small container (4-6oz) greek yogurt (vanilla or fruit flavored)
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 orange, peeled
- Water or milk, as needed (for consistency)
- 1 cup fresh spinach or other greens (optional)
Simple peel the orange and banana, and throw everything into your blender on medium speed. Depending on how juicy the fruit is and how thick you like your smoothies, you’ll want to adjust the amount of water or milk you use. You can also throw in a handful of spinach or other greens if you’d like – it will turn your smoothie green, but you can barely taste it and it packs in a lot of extra nutrients.
This is one of the best weight loss smoothies because it’s fiber rich, which helps you feel full and avoid snacking. And although this recipe is relatively high in carbs due to the large amount of fruit, these are healthy, energizing carbs from fruit that will leave you feeling invigorated and ready to face the day. Additionally, the greek yogurt contains probiotics that are beneficial for stomach health. Plus, the high protein content in this shake delivers all the benefits of protein in a convenient package.
Lean Green Smoothie for Weight Loss
For those who want to get a solid dose of greens as often as possible, this top weight loss smoothie combines protein powder with an all-natural greens supplement to deliver a filling and nutritious meal or snack.
- 1 scoop protein powder (vanilla or unflavored) – Our Protein Powder Guide
- 1 serving all-natural greens powder
- Sweetener of choice, to taste (honey, agave, stevia, etc)
- ½ apple, chopped, or 1 serving fruit of your choice
- 1 cup milk or water
Simply throw everything except for the sweetener into the blender, and mix on medium speed. Taste the mix, and determine if you want to add sweetener. You may also be able to add additional greens powder, if desired.
This is a good weight loss smoothie because it contains a lot of protein, plus a full serving or more of greens (which, let’s be honest, most of us don’t get enough of!) The apple and honey balance the bitterness of the greens nicely, and provide a tasty and nutritious snack to keep your energy levels up and your waistline shrinking!
Chocolate Banana Smoothie for Weight Loss
A combination as classic as peanut butter and jelly, the chocolate banana combo is a perfect balance of healthy and tasty. With plenty of protein, fresh potassium-rich fruit, and a low calorie count, this is a good weight loss smoothie that tastes great!
- 1 banana, peeled
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder (or vanilla/unflavored protein powder + chocolate flavoring) – Our Protein Powder Guide
- 1 cup milk, or almond/soy/hemp milk
- 1 cup crushed ice
- ½ cup fresh spinach (optional)
Combine ingredients and blend until smooth. For an added treat, serve with a drizzling of low-calorie chocolate syrup on top. Even when losing weight, it’s naturally and actually often helpful to allow for some diet splurges, so long as you keep things in moderation.
Antioxidant Rich Black Forest Post-Workout Weight Loss Smoothie
After our workouts, our bodies are tired and in need of nutrients. Also, particularly after intense exercise, our muscles are more prone to inflammation and free radical formation, which means that antioxidants are important immediately following your workouts. This antioxidant-rich post-workout weight loss smoothie is just the ticket, and quite tasty, as well!
- 1 serving chocolate protein powder – Our Protein Powder Guide
- 1 cup milk, or nondairy milk alternative
- 1 banana, frozen
- 1 cup frozen dark sweet cherries
- Ice cubes
Mix all ingredients and blend until smooth. The mix of protein powder and antioxidant rich dark cherries make this a potent workout recovery aid, and the fiber-rich and filling recipe make it quite effective for weight loss efforts, as well!
Chocolate Brownie Post-Workout Smoothie for Weight Loss
If you’re trying to lose weight, chance are you’re hitting the gym (or the pavement) on a regular basis. Exercise is a key component of any weight loss effort, but just as important as exercise is proper post-workout recovery nutrition. This post-workout weight loss smoothie blends protein powder with fast-digesting carbohydrates to help your muscles recover and begin healing.
- 1 large banana, frozen
- ¾ cup milk or non-dairy milk
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder – Our Protein Powder Guide
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- Dash salt
- Dash vanilla extract
Combine ingredients and blend until smooth. This workout recovery weight loss smoothie has a great ratio of fast-digesting carbs to protein, making it a near ideal way to refuel your muscles after a tough workout. It’s not the lowest calorie smoothie by any means, but after exercise you can definitely afford this tasty weight loss smoothie!
Avocado Berry Breakfast Smoothie
For those of us who love those creamy, silky California avocados, this tasty breakfast smoothie will certainly hit the spot! And being that avocado is very nutrient-rich, this provides a healthy and tasty way to start your day.
- 1 medium avocado, sliced
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 cup fat-free milk (or milk alternative)
- 1 cup fat-free yogurt
- ½ cup apple or white grape juice
- 1 tbsp honey or agave
- Lime juice, as needed (for freshness)
This refreshingly light weight loss smoothie recipe makes two servings, so enjoy half and throw the rest in the refrigerator for tomorrow! The smoothie saves well, so long as you add some lime juice to maintain freshness. While this top weight loss smoothie does not contain protein powder like most on this list, it is still quite protein-rich thanks to the inclusion of both milk and yogurt.
Berry Oat Breakfast Smoothie for Weight Loss
For a “breakfast of champions” weight-loss style, try this tasty berry oat breakfast smoothie, packed with antioxidant-rich fruits and fiberful, filling rolled oats. This can be made with any type of frozen berry, so it’s as versatile as it is tasty!
- 1 cup milk or milk alternative
- ½ banana, peeled
- ¼ cup rolled oats, dry (uncooked)
- 2 tbsp raw almonds
- 1 cup frozen berries
- ½ tsp to 1 tsp sweetener (honey, agave, stevia, etc.)
- Protein powder (optional) – Our Protein Powder Guide
The rolled oats in this good weight loss smoothie are ideal for dieting because a single serving contains roughly 20% of your daily fiber. Fiber helps you feel more full and satisfied, which can limit cravings and keep your diet on track.
Nutrient Rich Green Weight Loss Smoothie
Green smoothies are all the rage nowadays, with celebrities, fitness pros and health experts all touting their benefits. This particular recipe packs in multiple servings of vegetables in a spicy-sweet concoction that is sure to help you drop those pounds!
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 cups cucumber
- 2-3 stalks celery
- ½ inch fresh ginger root (or more, if desired)
- 1 bunch parsley
- 2 apples, cored
- Juice of 1 lime
- Juice of ½ lime
- Sweetener, as desired
Note that this makes 2-3 servings, so the recipe could easily be halved if desired. If you don’t have enough fresh vegetables on hand, you can also substitute a good greens supplement. This nutrient-dense weight loss smoothie recipe is highly beneficial for weight loss goals, and tastes pretty good, too!
Raspberry Coconut Vegan Weight-Loss Smoothie
Blending delicious, antioxidant-rich red raspberries with creamy (and vegan-friendly) coconut milk, this is one of the best vegan weight loss smoothies out there. Tasty and nutritious, this one will want you excitedly awaiting your next sip!
- 1 banana, frozen
- ½ cup to 1 cup coconut milk, depending on thickness desired
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- Sweetener, as desired/to taste
- Coconut flakes (optional)
Coconut milk is not only a lactose/dairy-free food, it’s also highly nutritious with a high concentration of fiber, B vitamins, minerals and more. Coconut milk is high in fats, but it’s mostly healthy medium chain saturated fatty acids, including lauric acid which is highly beneficial.
Sign Up For Updates
Get supplement updates, news, giveaways & more!
Was this post helpful?
About the Author
Austin Meadows is an independent writer and consultant specializing in health and wellness topics. With more than 7 years of experience writing in the natural health industry, Austin strives to deliver accurate, concise and research based information to his readers. Contact Austin about this article